Allahabad HC puts a stay on demolition of Ghaziabad slum saying it is the responsibility of state to protect weaker section in this pandemic
22nd October, 2020
The Allahabad HC with division bench consisting of Chief Justice Govind Mathur and Justice Siddhartha Varma hearing the Public Interest Litigation concerning eviction of residents of Bhowapur Basti behind Radisson blue hotel at Kaushambi in Ghaziabad. The Ghaziabad Development Authority, the local administration damaged some houses of the basti on Oct 9, and the effort was made to evict the residents so the writ petition was filed apprehending complete demolition of houses in basti. The petitioners have sought complete rehabilitation of all the residents of the basti and have urged the court to call for all relevant rehabilitation policies applicable on slum dwellers and they also sought a compensation of Rs.20,000 to be paid to each of residents as compensation for unlawful demolition. So the bench stated that GDA should have offered a place to rehabilitation the residents of the demolition with following instructions:
1. The GDA shall not proceed with demolition of the house situated in Bhowapur basti till further orders.
2. The district authority and state shall provide temporary shelter to the residence of bhowapur basti.
3. The development authority and state shall see the viability of providing houses under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana.
4. And all essential arrangements should be made for the basti people like water, light, etc.
5. The medical facilities are also required to be extended to the residents of Bhowapur basti.