Posted by Shuvasmita Nanda
About the organization:
Project 39A draws inspiration from Article 39-A in the Indian Constitution on equal justice and signals the broadening of our work on the criminal justice system in India. We undertake litigation, research and communications relating to forensics, torture, legal aid, mental health and death penalty
About the Opportunity:
The National Law University, Delhi through Project 39A is seeking to engage a ‘Legal Researcher- Consultant’ on a contractual basis for the Fair Trial Fellowship Programme supported by a grant from the Azim Premji Philanthropic Initiatives (APPI). The Legal Researcher-Consultant will be responsible for designing as well as implementing research projects as part of the Programme on issues around criminal justice, legal aid and fair trials which is supported by a grant from the Azim Premji Philanthropic Initiatives (APPI).
1. Graduate with an LLB degree
2. Candidates with an LLM or Masters in Social Sciences like Anthropology, Social Work, Sociology criminology or other fields related to the programme will be preferred. Prior Experience in Socio-Legal Research and/or issues related to the criminal justice system. Prior research experience of a minimum of 2 years is preferable
3. Proficiency in English is necessary. Ability to read/ write/ speak Marathi will be an advantage but is not mandatory.
4. Good research and writing skills
[The above qualifications may be relaxed in exceptional circumstances]
Time period: The period of engagement will be for 7 months and any extension will be subject to the needs of the Program and availability of funds.
Number of Positions: One Position
Roles And Responsibilities
● Research on a range of issues around the criminal justice system including bail, capacity to stand trial, functioning of trial courts and legal aid and other allied topics.
● Contribute to developing and implementing the framework, methodology of research projects and implement the fieldwork.
● Undertake fieldwork for the purposes of the project, including observing and facilitating trials, interviewing prisoners, police personnel and other stakeholders.
● Engage with various central and state agencies involved in the administration of the criminal justice system in India.
● Collate, analyze and publish findings of the fieldwork.
● Devise and implement litigation strategies.
● Analyze case progress.
● Work towards strengthening legal support systems.
● Present the work of Project 39A at appropriate fora.
● Participate in and contribute to the overall research and public communications efforts at Project 39A.
● Undertake administrative or any other work that may be necessary to further the aims of Project 39A.
Salary: Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and will be as per prevalent standards.
How to Apply:
Interested persons may send their résumé and a brief statement, not exceeding 750 words, outlining the likely contributions to our work and explaining their interest in working on this programme. Applicants are also required to fill in their details into the form via the link given https://forms.gle/DktqNcG61deCKWZS8
Intimation regarding dates and selection rounds will be given to the shortlisted candidates by email.
Email: Interested persons must send their resume and statement of purpose (SOP) to email@example.com and the subject of the email should be “Fair Trial Fellowship – Application for Legal Researcher-Consultant ’’
Applications received after midnight of March 31, 2021 will not be considered. The shortlisted candidates shall be informed about the next round in the selection process via email. The interview might be held in an online or offline mode. There will be multiple rounds of written tests and interviews.
For more details:
(official link and the contact number, if available)
Check their website :- www.project39a.com
For faster updates about the best international and national internships, please join our WhatsApp group by clicking the link given below: